I’m from the era of video tapes, that had to be rewound, video shops (in fact I worked in one) and cassette tapes that had to be wound on with a pen or pencil. I’m an 80s child, born just as technology was really taking off. I got my first mobile phone when I was 14 years old and it was a ‘brick,’ that could text and call people – basically what a phone was invented for. It amazes me the development in technology that has developed in 20 years. I can still remember dial-up internet and I never thought that one day I would be able to ‘stream’ TV shows and Movies through my laptop, Ipad, Iphone or TV (in fairness we didn’t have ‘smart’ phones but you get my point!) I can’t wait to see what is going to happen over the next 20 years and beyond. With that in mind, here is a list of things we are going to be ‘streaming’ in February via Netflix.
- Continue watching The Crown, I’m a bit behind with this watching and have watched the first five episodes. I’m really enjoying the depiction of Queen Elizabeth in her younger years and can see why it has won so many awards.
- I absoforkinglutely will be continuing with The Good Place, a comedy starring Kristen Bell and Ted Danson. Kristen Bell plays a self-centred character called Eleanor who, after recently dying, ends up in the Good Place by accident. She then hides this from the Good Place architect Ted Danson. And can you forking believe it – they can’t swear in the Good Place. What a load of bullshirt.
- I still love a good teen drama and so I will also be continuing Riverdale, based on Archie Comics. It starts off with the disapperance of a popular, footballing red headed Jason but quickly culmanates into a murder mystery. It has actors such as Skeet Ulrich and Luke Perry, so for those kids of the 90s that watched Beverly Hills 90210, The Craft and Scream, you absolutely should watch.
- So now onto something that I haven’t already started – The End of The F**king World. It’s a British, dark comedy about a girl looking for adventure and the boy who is pretty sure he’s a psychopath going on a road trip together to find the girl’s estranged father.
- Although it has now been cancelled, though I believe people are working hard to get it back, another show making my list is Underground. It’s only just appeared on my Netflix and is a critically acclaimed drama about a group of runaway slaves and abolitionists fighting for freedom using the underground railroad in the 1850s.
- In preparation for Mamma Mia 2! Here we go again I will be watching Mamma Mia! this month, if the rumours are true I need to get my fill of happy Donna!
February is also the month of the Walking Dead returning and whilst that’s not on Netflix I had to be sure to mention it!
Obviously in amongst all this ‘Netflix and chill’ we will be continuing our journey to health with our two-a-week sessions with Leszek, which after a week and a bit of illness we were very excited to get back to on Monday! We will be looking at healthy snacks to have this month too, because I don’t know about you but I am awful for mindlessly eating whilst watching TV and movies. So, which TV shows and movies are on your list this month?
Also keep an eye out for our next blog where Matt is taking over to talk about one of his passions in life – photography.